Monday, January 16, 2012

Turn an Ugly Old Dresser Into a Bar or Artistic Focal Point

I am working on turning an ugly old bookshelf into an attractive bar that will make an artistic statement in my otherwise drab dining room. 

Here is what I have so far!
Here it is! I got a creative bug late one night and just couldn't help myself. Might as well flow with it right?



Here it is before
It was just sitting there in the corner looking gloomy, covered in randomness that was not at all appealing to my dining room.


Begin by measuring the length and width of each shelf wall you want to cover.
It is much easier if you have a shelf with removable shelves. If you do, you only have to cut one big piece!

To adhere your material you can use staples, or glue. I used a Beacon's craft glue. 
Dribble some on the shelf wall paying extra attention to the corners and edges.


I did about five inches of glue at a time, carefully laying down the fabric bit by bit.


Here's the shelf after I successfully glued down each piece!
I intentionally left the bottom selves bare. I haven't yet, but I plan on putting a curtain on the lower half. This way I can store some of the less attractive kitchen items that I want to put there. It will also (hopefully) limit the curiosity of my 2 year old.

You could also do this with a bright colored paint or wallpaper. The possibilities are endless!



TADA!! 
I feel soooo much better about this piece of furniture being in my life now.
I will post some pictures of it when it is 100% complete, curtain and all. I may also add some paint or studs to the shelf edges to fancy it up a bit. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment